Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Boyleing Points


Boyleing Points: Tears of Relief

Boyleing_Pts_Bridge1
We needed that scare.  If you get thrown off a horse you’re supposed to get right back on.  But I think it’s better to get on a pony first.
Hurricane Joaquin was the first real scare since Sandy.  We need a couple of Joaquins, maybe an Irene, to realize that we can handle most of these weather events.  We just had a beautiful summer with the kind of weather that made us think we were living in a perfect environment.  Did it even rain this summer?
Now, I’m not one to stress, let alone freak out, but the news of a tropical storm jumping to a Category 4 in about a day had me a little spooked.   And I wasn’t alone.  It was pretty easy to find fellow worry warts.  Gas stations suddenly had lines.  Waldbaum’s and Stop N Shop got mobbed.  You’d think Waldbaum’s wouldn’t have had to have a “30 percent everything must go” sale the same week people were emptying the shelves of all essentials (Oreos, Mallomars, and Ben and Jerry’s ice cream).
I saw one person with enough toilet paper for a football team going to London, never mind a family of four.  Somebody else looked like they were running a parish picnic with all the meat they were carting away.
I wasn’t sure what to stock up on but I did have a flashback of drinking Gatorade and eating nutri-grain bars.
So I admit I was stressed but, above all, I just wasn’t in the friggin’ mood.  Bungalow Bar holds an annual F U Sandy party.  I was saying the same to Joaquin.  Sometimes you’re just not in the mood.  Give me a few more years and I’ll say, bring it on (and have the Mormons on speed dial).   But now….
It’s like you just made the bed and somebody jumps on it. You swept the floor and now somebody drops and spills something.  Really?  You gotta yell at somebody (or some dog) who just messed with your hard work.  Hey Joaquin, I just fixed my friggin’ house and now you gotta come?  Are you kidding me?
Of course, maybe I’m just a scaredy cat and wimp.  There’s a long list of movies that have made me cry. Pride of the Yankees.  Brian’s Song. Old Yeller.  Those go without saying.  But I even I cried at a Jerry Lewis movie one time.
It’s the happy crapola that really gets me.  It’s A Wonderful Life gets me even if I’m just changing channels and it happens to be on.   I can’t watch those YouTube videos of soldiers coming home to surprise their kids in kindergarten.  I just can’t hold back the happy tears.  You know, the autistic kid gets in a game and scores a bunch of baskets and the crowd pours out on the floor to celebrate.  Forget it, I’m Niagara Falls.
I’m a sucker for the happy ending, feel good story.  Of course, it’s made worse by the fact that I have family members who wait for me to well up.  I cry, they laugh.
Fortunately, Joaquin wasn’t much of a story in these parts.  Ok if I shed some happy tears?

No comments:

Post a Comment