Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

BOYLEING POINTS (Rockaway Times)


BOYLEING POINTS: THIS TURKEY SENDS HIS THANKS

  0

Boyleing_Pts_Bridge
Happy Thanksgiving. If there ever were a year to say thanks, this would be the one. When I planned the launch of this paper in June I didn’t quite expect the 24/7 demands. And thankfully, I got the support I needed.
They say you better be careful when you start thanking people because you’re sure to leave someone out. So thank YOU. (Now you can’t say I didn’t say thanks).
My wife, Kathy, was encouraging, supportive and helped at every turn. She’s worked 24/7 for years and showed me how to keep at it. The fam – from my brothers and sons to father-in-law and mother–in–law gave important help along the way. And thanks to my mother — proofreader, tipster, and comic inspiration.
Advertisers came through. Some generous people and groups advertised simply to give me a boost and help me find solid footing. Many have signed on for the long term, thereby showing confidence in The Rockaway Times. As you know, it’s a free paper and without advertisers, it’d be a dead paper. The only thing I ask is, if you see an ad in the paper, mention to the people who advertise. So thanks in advance for that.
Thankfully, in the early days, Carol Kelleher came to the rescue and helped put the books in order. Pat McVeigh joined in and pretty soon the demands were cut down to 23/7. Mike Schramm of The Pointer, the Rockaway Point News, was a huge help and didn’t have to be. I’m thankful he was so generous in those early days.
I get calls and emails from readers – thanks! – telling me how much they enjoy the paper. Well, they wouldn’t enjoy it so much if I didn’t have Peter Mahon, Alex Karinsky, Paulette Mancuso, John Cori, Helen Kilgallen, Matt Whalen, Beef Chip, and Sharon Feldman and Pete Galvin contributing great columns every week. Boy, do I owe them thanks. And the supporting cast of the Civics Corner — Hank Iori, Dolores Orr, Noreen Ellis, and Amanda Agoglia, are due a heartfelt thanks, too. And I’m thankful for other contributors as well such as guest columnists (John Sica for one!) and you letter writers and emailers and Word Searchers and people who like us on Facebook.
Doug MacLeod and Ozzie Edwards not only supplied some great photos but offered to pitch in a million different ways.
Thanks to Erica Farrell who designed our masthead and convinced me to include the bicycle as part of our logo. And thanks to Bianca Fortis who’s written so many good stories and has been part of this since Day One. And Katie McFadden who writes and does it a little bit of everything,
And there’s Fred Marino, the MVP, the unstoppable salesman who is often called Jesus Christ. He goes back to advertisers so often they say, Jesus Christ, you again?
I’m happier this Thanksgiving because of Freddy.
But I’ve gotta circle back to you, the readers. You’ve given advice, constructive criticism, undeserved praise, and even material. You’ve convinced me this crazy thing was a good idea.
Even if the paper went out of business tomorrow, my thanks are forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment