Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Congratulations on your Retirement Kathy!



On Friday May 31, 2013 our neighbor, Kathleen Reardon-Savino, clocked out for the final time as a mail carrier for the United States Postal Service in our community of Broad Channel.

When asked what was her favorite memory of her long career with the
Post Office, Kathy reminisced....

"It was very recent!  I was working at the main sorting office last month and came across an unstamped, poorly hand-written envelope addressed to God. 

I opened it and discovered it was from an elderly lady, distressed because some thief robbed her of 100 dollars. She wrote that she will be cold and hungry for the rest of the month if she doesn't receive some divine intervention.


Feeling sorry for this woman, I organized a collection  all my co-workers, who dug deep and came up with 96 dollars. 

We sent it to the woman by special courier the same morning.


A week later, I recognized the same handwriting on another envelope. When I opened it I read... 

Dear God, Thank you for the 100 dollars. This month would have been so bleak otherwise. P.S. It was four dollars short but that was probably those thieving bastards at the Post Office.

I retired the next day!"

As much as all your neighbors and friends will miss your smiling face behind the wheel of your Federal Postal Service Golf Cart as you cruise across the east side of town delivering our mail, it is nice to know that you
will remain among us, albeit retired, as a great neighbor and friend, and, of course, always helping out at the V.F.W.!



In closing, we spoke to your family to find out what your favorite song is and so we leave you with the "King" singing Return to Sender.  

We were told your wore out your 8 track tape that had this song on it!


2 comments:

  1. My favorite letter carrier. Congratulations. We miss you already!

    The Pierros

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you're glad you didn't have to work today!

    ReplyDelete