Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

What is it? - Yellowish border surrounding ponded water throughout the neighborhood.


For the past several days I have been noticing a yellowish border surrounding the ponded water in front of my house on West 12th Road.  Initially I assumed it was the result of some sort of "run off" from further up the block.

Yesterday I observed this same type yellowish border surrounded standing water on blocks throughout Broad Channel.  Can't be run off isolated to West 12th Road as it is all over town so now I an scratching my head wondering what the heck it is.

Early this morning I observed the same condition to be present in areas where water had ponded in Howard Beach and Ozone Park. 

Now this condition has really piqued my interest so I took a sample home with me and upon closer examination I reached an assumption, albeit a non-scientific one, that the yellowish substance is pollen!

My assumption in this regard was strengthened when a neighbor stopped by this morning whose eyes were red and red and swollen.  When I asked him what was the matter he exclaimed - "It's my allergies, didn't you notice all the pollen in the water on our streets?"

Right now I am going to go with the "pollen" cause of this issue, unless someone has any other ideas?


3 comments:

  1. I saw it in puddles in Forest Hills and Rego Park yesterday. Im thinking pollen too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia Vailakis-DeVirgilioMay 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM

    It's the run-off from those 'no good, low down, YAN-KEEEE liars!!'... a.k.a. politicians/government reps/FEMA.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update: Sorry Sophie...can't blame this one on the feds....contacted a friend at the Queens Botanical Garden who stated that the condition is prevalent throughout the borough and is indeed "pollen".

      Delete