Pages

Friday, April 8, 2016

Broad Channel Bits



By Dan Guarino

Last Sunday was so windy; I would not have been surprised to see small pets hang gliding at the end of their leashes. Or young children picked up by the powerful wind and pinned to playground fences. Of course no doubt the sound I would hear from them would be a delighted “Wheeeeeee!!”
And we did get to the 20 degrees as predicted for this week. But if you pried your eyes open long enough against the wind, you would have spied that the first buds and flowers of spring have arrived!
Thanks to all who came out to the BC Library on Thursday, March 31.
My friends over at Project Restoration as part of Northwell, formerly LIJ, were handing out surveys about our Sandy experiences and how it has affected us. I can say they were really impressed with Broad Channel. Not only the turn out, but the camaraderie amongst us Channelites and how we dealt with some of the most devastating experiences imaginable. There were so many people the Project ran out of survey forms well before 6 p.m. As promised, for those who did not get to fill out a survey, here are the next dates and places Project Restoration will be. They will be at CAMBA, 57-17 Shore Front Parkway, which is really just off Rockaway Beach Boulevard at Ocean Village in Arverne, on Tuesday, April 12, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Also at the Rockaway Wellness Expo at West End Temple, 147-02 Newport Ave., on Sunday, April 17, from 2 to 4 p.m. Each participant will get $15 for completing the survey. You must be 18 or over. Samantha Schneider, the project coordinator, mentioned to me that “it is a great honor to get to work in the Rockaways where there is so much pride and love.” I also gave her several locations in the Channel were they might come out again.
At the library I heard a woman say to her husband, “Honey, how long were we without electricity?” “Uhhhhhh…” and then a very long pause was the reply. “Will there be some nice men in white coats ready to pick me up outside?” another man said. “‘Cause I could really use a few days rest.”
Other people told me about how they still weren’t home yet; how their houses were still broken; how red tape still went on for miles. For those who thought the hurricane was over- it ain’t.
“Firemen Will Dance: The Broad Channel Fire Department is making preparations for a barn dance to be given in the fire house next Saturday night and the affair promises to be very largely attended. The firemen will hold their annual inspection and parade and Mardi gras on Labor Day, and it is expected that this season’s event will surpass anything ever given at the channel.” –from the Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Tuesday, July 27, 2009. Thanks to Janet O’Hare for sharing this clipping.
How many varieties and tastes of chili are there? Find out as the 100th Precinct Community Council and new council president, our own Joe Young, launch their 7th Annual Chili Cook-Off at the Knights of Columbus on Friday April 15, 7 p.m.
They are also looking for businesses to put their chili recipes to the test for top prizes. Get tickets and/or enter the contest by calling Joe 718-634- 4970 or Kathy 917-284-0410.
Mark your calendars with a capital “tee,” for the BCAC’s Annual Jim and Claire Hanning Memorial Golf Outing on Friday, May 20. More details to come.
Mike and Kyle of Stay Tuned have graciously invited me to play my own set at Roger’s Pub as part of their 3 to 6 p.m. show on Saturday, May 7. More info soon.
In a sure sign of spring, something big is coming on Saturday, April 16. At 9:15 a.m. young players, families, coaches and guests will gather at 17th Road Park for the Broad Channel Athletic Club Opening Day Parade. The parade will step off at 9:45-ish. From there this always cheerful and colorful procession, which includes hundreds of marchers and stretches several blocks, will head up Cross Bay Boulevard towards the BCAC Memorial Field. There with everyone gathered on the field, the Opening Day Ceremonies will commence. Afterward there will be a number of baseball games with players of all ages all over the field. My thanks to the BCAC for graciously inviting me once again to be a part of their big day.
This year you can also help kindergartners through eighth graders raise money and compete for prizes through the Jamaica Bay Little League Walk-A-Thon that day. Go to www.bcacny.com for more details.
Meanwhile at the other end of town, We Care NY and NY Cares Volunteer Day will be hosting a cleanup at Broad Channel American Park down by the Cross Bay Bridge at 9:30 a.m. that Saturday, April 16.
An assumption I get from many people is that I am retired. I am pleased that I either look old enough (I think) or happy enough or independently wealthy enough to appear that way. But I am not.
I work full-time plus at The Wave. And, since I am salaried, when you see me covering various events I am not exactly “on the clock.” Everything else I do in my “spare time” is strictly volunteer and I do not get paid for it. Thanks for asking.
The American Legion’s Big Doo Wop show on Saturday, April 2, was a smash hit. The night included a great hot pasta buffet and stand out performances by The Devotions and The Tribune. (The pasta looked great, but I had already been to two other events!) I have seen the Legion full before, but never as packed as that. Especially with people dancing, singing along and having a super great time! All proceeds go to support the Legion and our vets’ programs.
Got Broad Channel news or event info? Send it to me at workingstories@aol.com. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment