Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Between The Bridges





Recently I spent the day over in Woodside with my mother celebrating her 98th birthday. During the day I happened to ask her how her memory was doing and she replied, as she has for the past many years, “Well me young lad, I would gladly chance to wager my memory is probably finer than yours!”  I told her that in light of the fact that I am now 65 years of age, perhaps she might consider dropping the term “young lad”. She gave me a sharp look, leaned forward in her chair and whispered, “I would you old fart but, truth be told, I forgot your name five years ago!”  Happy Birthday Mom!
May I take this opportunity to publicly thank a former neighbor of mine here on West 12th Road in Broad Channel but who now lives “across the bridge” who immediately reached out to me after reading about the plight of a Broad Channel resident with health issues who was experiencing difficulty in obtaining assistance from Medicare.  Many of you know Beth Hanning from her weekly column “Slice of Life” from our other local weekly newspaper. You know, the one named after a wind-generated nautical disturbance that travels through the ocean water from one location to another location ultimately washing onto the beach! What you may not be aware of is that Beth is also the Director of Communications of Rockaway W.I.S.H. (Women Inspired to Support and Help), a local charitable organization which has been described by our local Assemblyman, Phil Goldfeder, as “a group of amazing women whose kindness and generosity knows no bounds…” Beth graciously offered the assistance of her organization in the matter and I would just like to state for the record that her concern and offer of help was greatly appreciated by all involved.  You can visit the Rockaway W.I.S.H. website at rockawaywish.org
Gather up your family, friends and neighbors and stop by the Broad Channel VFW this Saturday from 2 to 6 p.m. for a good old fashioned community summertime barbeque replete with clams on the half-shell, hamburgers, hot dogs and ice-cold draft beer.  Admission is $20 for adults and half price for children, with children under 4 admitted free. All are welcome and as always, all proceeds from the event are used to provide assistance and services for our veterans.
Located at 529 Crossbay Boulevard in Broad Channel, NY, right on Jamaica Bay, the Shad Creek Association will host its 21ST Annual “It’s A Fluke” Fishing Tournament on July 11. The Captain’s meeting/sign-up will be July 9 from 5pm on. The contest runs from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. sharp!!  Weigh-in is at the clubhouse and there will be a BBQ with beverages at the weigh-in party!  There will be cash prizes, a door prize, calcuttas and fun for all! ($30 entry fee – $20 BBQ only). For more info or any questions please email ShadCreekAssoc@aol.com or contact Chris James @ 917-617-5283.  You can also  “LIKE” them on Facebook at – Shad Creek Assoc.
Broad Channel, why would anyone want to live anywhere else?
Contact Information: Email – rtbetweenthebridges@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment