Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014



BOYLEING POINTS

BOYLEING POINTS: RUMOR MILL IS CHURNING

  0
Boyleing_Pts_Bridge
The things you hear. I have a few friends who can’t start a sentence without saying “off the record” even though what they tell me is usually better than a sleeping pill. Other times I hear rumors that are pretty good even though they often amount to nothing. So what I’m offering you is more of the same: probably a lot of nothing.
So I hear another newspaper is coming to Rockaway. I guess newspapers are going to be like nail salons. Rumor has it this one is coming out of Howard Beach and Broad Channel but with a Rockaway name. It’s only a rumor to me because they didn’t friend me on Facebook. 
Although it must be more than a rumor because The Rockaway Times was mysteriously disappearing in Broad Channel or found buried under another newspaper in a couple of stores. I’m no detective but that sounds like dirty pool. Tsk, tsk. Of course, I’m chalking this up as a rumor without merit – they wouldn’t start off like that, would they?  Nah. 
Another rumor that doesn’t have the nefarious overtones of the first involves Broad Channel as well.  It seems interest in the little gem in Jamaica Bay is getting noticed and that artists and creative types of all kinds are eyeing it because it’s “off the grid” a bit, yet offers so much.  It’s got sunrise and sunset views that rival any in the world. Its backyard is the spectacular Jamaica Bay; its side yard is a wildlife sanctuary.  The subway ride into the City and other places (like the airport) is another bonus. More people are starting to ask what Pete Mahon says in his weekly column in the Rockaway Times, why would you live anywhere else? 
Another spot popping up on the rumor mill is the Beach 40s. Word is, some people are calling it the next hot real estate market. Yes, the Beach 40s.  You can walk to the subway, the ocean, and the bay. There are plenty of small houses and bungalows that are sure to attract newcomers.  Don’t tell me I’m nuts, just remember you heard it here first or second or third. And now you can tell people, you know what I heard…
* * *
More Boyleing Points: Breezy Point is a bit of a mystery to many in Rockaway. Because it’s a private community some people don’t realize you can shop there, (Breezy Lumber, for instance) and enjoy sunsets, food and entertainment at the Bay House (and soon, Kennedy’s). To get to the Bay House, you make the first right past the booth. And keep going, there’s parking.
* * *
Jeez, I’ve hit bottom. I feel like Tom Arnold the guy who is semi-famous merely because he married comedian Roseanne Barr. He makes a living out of being a quote-unquote celebrity, willing to do any sort of reality TV show.   I’m feeling like Tom because I’ve been asked to be in a dunk tank.  You know, I sit on some platform and somebody throws something hoping the trapdoor will open and I’ll get dunked in a pool of skanky water.  It’s for an Arts In Parts fundraiser so I had to say yes.  But jeez, they must’ve asked a lot of people before they found me on the bottom of the barrel.  Anyway, if you’ve got a sadistic streak in you, visit Beach 97th street on Sunday, July 27.  But I’m telling you now, I’m taking names. 

No comments:

Post a Comment