Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Who is/was "Chris Galas"?


Recently I was asked who is/was "Chris Galas" that our local school P.S. 47 is named for.

The only information I could come up with is that the school was renamed back in May of 1983 by the Department of Education.

I have contacted the Department of Education's Office of Public Affairs and requested that they provide me with a copy of any press release that may have been published at the time of the 1983 name dedication.

I will also try to stop by .S. 47 this week to ascertain if school staff has any information that may shed some light on this individual.

If anyone out there has any information regarding "Chris Galas" I would greatly appreciate if you could drop me an email   and let me know.

Thanks.

Pete Mahon

3 comments:

  1. Chris lived on West 9th Road. She was Chris Andrianno, sister of Frank the "oil Man". She was very active in P.S. 47 P.T.A. and also volunteered at the school daily. Her son, George was killed in a boating accident when he was about 22 or so. She was a Channelite her whole life and went into the hospital for routine kidney surgery and died of a heart attack. I think her husband, since remarried to Dorothy Mele, still lives on 9th Road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She lived on the corner of 9th and Power Road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. would anyone have a photo of Chris Galas or know where to look for one?

    ReplyDelete